We’re back, VMworld is less than a week away. If you are a VMworld veteran or this is your first time, I think there is something in this guide for everyone. This is an update of my guides from 2016 and 2017 with some new exclusive deals
Before you go:
- Register for the event, sounds obvious but some folks arrive and are not registered and the per-registration is cheaper.
- Plan your week by visiting the Content catalog and populating your Schedule Builder Check out My Top 10 Sessions here The General Sessions are open seating but the break out sessions you need to register for. (There are almost always standing room for additional overflow but registering is a guarantee you get a good seat.)
- Logon to twitter to see what sessions are trending so you know before you go.
- Vegas is hot and dry in August, pack plenty of summer clothes, cotton t-shirts, shorts and a Swimsuit (The pools are amazing here folks!)
- Pack extra room in your bag or bring an extra one, you will receive a VMworld 2018 Back pack as well as tons of swag from VMware and partners in solutions exchange that you will want to bring home.
- If you are flying Southwest either get Early Bird Check-in or set a reminder on your phone to check in for you flight both going and return flights.
- Go to sleep now until the morning you travel to VMworld Vegas, no, seriously you are gonna need all the sleep you can get.
- Stay at Mandalay Bay or Delano if you can, easy walk to the convention and one of the best pools in Vegas. Next bets in order of distance are Luxor, Excalibur, New York New York (amazing Roller Coaster), MGM Grand and Monte Carlo.
- There is Uber and Lyft Service now in Vegas you will have to walk a bit and take an elevator in the parking garage but I found it just as fast as waiting in line for a cab. You can also wait in line and take a cab from the airport and around town or share one if you can. Ask about using a credit card before you get in, sadly some still only take cash, about $20 min to pretty much any hotel on the strip, although the limo or black car will save you the time of waiting in line, it will run you about $50 minimum (but hey, you will arrive in style)
During the Convention:
- If you are arriving early, hit one of the pool parties on Sunday at Daylight Beach Club – Manadalay Bay, Wet Republic – MGM Grand, Rehab – Hard Rock Hotel, Marque Day Club – Cosmopolitan
- Wear comfortable shoes, you walk a lot in Vegas anyway but the Mandalay convention center alone is huge here.
- Attend the keynotes, you get all the good information first and the opening visuals are always stunning. At least attend the Technical Keynote if there is only one you plan to attend!
- Drink a lot of water, it is super hot and dry here and it is dangerous to get dehydrated. Grab bottles of water to take to your room at night too, there is either none in the rooms or it’s $6
- Visit the solutions exchange during the day, when it is less busy, so you can get one on one sessions with VMware experts or one of our partners experts.
- If your back or body get’s sore, get a relaxing aqua massage over at Excalibur, it’s in the walkway on your way from Luxor. –> See photo here!
- Network with other customers and VMware folks, share your success and learn what works for them. All the best in the world will be in one place for a week and that is huge.
- Take a break once in a while in the hang spaces, it’s gonna be a long week.
Party Time!: Full List here!
Welcome Reception Sunday Aug 26,
5:00pm – 7:30pm
Solutions Exchange Open to VMworld attendees
vSAN Party Monday Aug 27,
8:30pm – 1AM
Foundation Room Mandalay Bay RSVP here!
Cohesity Part Monday Aug 27,
9pm – ?
Omnia Night Club: Caesars Palace RSVP here!
Hall Crawl Tuesday Aug 28,
4:30pm – 6:00pm
Solutions Exchange Open to VMworld attendees
Veam’s Party Tuesday Aug 28,
7pm – 11:00pm
Omnia Night Club: Caesars Palace RSVP Here
VMworld Party (Customer Appreciation Party) Wednesday Aug 29
World Market Pavilion Open to full conference pass attendees
- If you plan to gamble just know that the big fancy casinos didn’t get that way by giving away money, venturing out down the strip will increase your odds. If you do plan to gamble there, sign up for the members rewards card, you would be surprised how many perks and freebies they send you.
Food, Show and Club Recommends:
The Beatles Love – They just updated this show, not that it needed it but some nice new additions.
Hofbrauhaus Las Vegas – Authentic German food and drinks at this satellite restaurant of the original in Munich.
Secret Pizza at Cosmopolitan – Got those post party munchies, or just want something to soak up that booze? Head over here for a slice…if you can find it!!!
Raku – Amazing locals favorite Japanese Grill
Do’s and Dont’s:
- DO NOT LOSE YOUR BADGE OR IT WILL COST YOU TO REPLACE IT!
- Do get reservations for dinner now, Vegas will be very busy so if there is somewhere you really want to eat, especially for large groups, book that reservation now!
- Do try a hands on lab, there is no better way to learn than trying it yourself. These are first come first served, no need to sign up in advance just plan some time in your schedule.
- Do eat breakfast and lunch at the conference, save some hits on your expense report for dinners and drinks later.
- Don’t leave your laptop or personal belongings unattended or out of your control, while the conference is secure you just can’t be to careful.
- Don’t trust street vendors handing out free limo rides to clubs, there is always a catch!
- Do use common sense especially late at night, Vegas is a fairly safe city but like any big city, things can happen.
Have fun and be safe everybody! Hope to see you all there!