Update 8/8/16 As you probably already know, VMworld is back in Vegas this year and bigger than ever. If this is your first time attending or you are a seasoned veteran I have some tips that I think you all will find valuable. VMworld itself is action packed, from the welcome reception, sponsored parties and the VMworld party you have plenty to see and do. Add to that the 24×7 entertainment that is Vegas and it can get overwhelming!
Before you go:
- Register for the event, sounds obvious but some folks arrive and are not registered and the per-registration is cheaper.
- Plan your week by visiting the Content catalog and populating your Schedule Builder. The General Sessions are open seating but the break out sessions you need to register for. (There are almost always standing room for additional overflow but registering is a guarantee you get a seat.)
- Logon to twitter to see what sessions are trending so you know before you go.
- Vegas is hot and dry in August, pack plenty of summer clothes, cotton t-shirts, shorts and a Swimsuit (The pools are amazing here folks!)
- Pack extra room in your bag or bring an extra one, you will receive a VMworld Back pack and get tons of swag from VMware and partners in solutions exchange that you will want to bring home.
- Go to sleep now until the morning you travel to VMworld Vegas, no seriously you are gonna need all the sleep you can get.
- Stay at Mandalay Bay or Delano if you can, easy walk to the convention and one of the best pools in Vegas. Next bets in order of distance are Luxor, Excalibur, New York New York (amazing Roller Coaster), MGM Grand and Monte Carlo.
- Thanx to one of my readers tips there is Uber and Lyft Service now in Vegas. You can also wait in line and take a cab from the airport and around town or share one if you can. Ask about using a credit card before you get in, sadly some still only take cash, about $20 min to pretty much any hotel on the strip, although the limo or black car will save you from waiting in line, it will run you about $50 minimum (but hey you will arrive in style)
During the Convention:
- Wear comfortable shoes, you walk a lot in Vegas anyway but the convention center alone is huge here.
- Attend the keynotes, you get all the good information first and the opening visuals are always impressive and inspiring. At least attend the Technical Keynote if there is only one you plan to attend!
- Drink a lot of water, it is super hot and dry here and it is dangerous to get dehydrated.
- Visit the solutions exchange during the day, when it is less busy, to get one on one sessions with VMware experts or one of our partners experts.
- Network with other customers and VMware folks, share your success and learn what works for them. All the best in the world will be in one place for a week and that is huge.
Party Time!: Full List here!
Welcome Reception Sunday Aug 28
5:00pm – 7:30pm
Hall Crawl Tuesday Aug 30
4:30pm – 6:00pm
Solutions Exchange Open to attendees
VMworld Party Wednesday Aug 31
7:30pm – 10:30pm
Las Vegas Motor Speedway, 7000 N Las Vegas Blvd Open to full conference pass attendees
Veeam’s Annual VMworld Party Tuesday Aug 30
8:00pm – 0:00am
The LIGHT Vegas – 3950 South Las Vegas Boulevard, Las Vegas, NV 89119 Register here
VMworld Badge is required for entrance
- If you plan to gamble just know that the big fancy casinos didn’t get that way by giving away money, venturing out down the strip will increase your odds. If you do plan to gamble there, sign up for the members rewards card, you would be surprised how many perks and freebies they send you.
Food, Show and Club Recommends:
LeReve The Dream at Wynn – Hands down the best show I have seen in Vegas!
Absynth – Great Show to see – If you have seen it all and want something new and fresh
Best Club in Vegas with a pool inside! – Best to buy tickets in advance!
Delicious Old Fashion Steak house – Requires a Cab Ride
Great All you Can eat Sushi – Requires a Cab ride
Do’s and Dont’s:
- DO NOT LOSE YOUR BADGE OR IT WILL COST YOU TO REPLACE IT!
- Do get reservations for dinner now, Vegas will be very busy so if there is somewhere you want to eat, especially for large groups, book that reservation now!
- Do try a hands on lab, there is no better way to learn than trying it yourself. These are first come first served, no need to sign up in advance just plan some time in your schedule.
- Do eat breakfast and lunch at the conference, save some hits on your expense report for dinners and drinks later.
- Don’t leave your laptop or personal belongings unattended or out of your control, while the conference is secure you just can’t be to careful.
- Don’t trust street vendors handing out free limo rides to clubs, there is always a catch!
- Do use common sense especially late at night, Vegas is a fairly city safe but like any big city, things can happen.
Have fun and be safe everybody! Hope to see you all there!
Um, yeah, Uber is everywhere in Vegas. They even have their own pickup area at the airport. Not sure where you got your info, but I used them several times acouple months ago during Citrix Synergy.
Wow, this is great news! Last I heard they were working on it. Thank you for sharing, I will update the post.
The goal of the VMworld agenda is to maximize customer and partner success through an educational schedule of breakouts, labs, demonstrations, and discussions.
Pingback: VMworld Vegas 2018 Pro Tips and Tricks | | VMtoCloud.com